Sunday, July 03, 2005

Philippians 2:12b

"work out your own salvation with fear and trembling"

One of the most important messages of the New Testament is that the hard work of salvation has already been done by God himself. Mostly we have to believe. Sounds easy enough. But then, it is ever so difficult as anyone who has ever tried to believe, that is, held a proposition in the mind that requires faith and affirmed it. The hard work has been done, but we are such frail things. The hard work has been done, but what is left to us is not easy. It is work.

I take it that the fact that we are to work out our own salvation with fear and trembling means that we can get it wrong. Why else tremble?

But more importantly, I view the exhortation here to be more of a call to diligence -- don't try to swagger or slink your way into heaven. Take the work seriously though most of the hard bits have been done for you already.

Personally, this bit of a verse has been one of the most important parts of the Bible for me. It tells me that failing is okay as long as one continues working. It tells me that the Christian life is supposed to be difficult. But it also tells me that it is possible. It tells me to expect to continue moving toward perfection. It is a touchstone for me.

1 Comments:

Blogger irvrobbi said...

AWESOME... Thank you. God bless

9:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home