Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Bible Notes

My idea here is not to rely on the notes that can be found in a lot of Bibles or in any one of dozens of Bible commentaries. This tack by no means makes what I'm doing more scholarly or better. It's just a different experience. One that I want now.

As a professional reader, (I work as an English professor) I try to remind myself that no matter how interesting an interpretation is, the poem, story, play, or (in this case) Bible verse, it is the text that has to be the center of focus.

When I was in Grad school, I was surprised that so much emphasis was placed on what commentators had to say. I was really there to hear what the authors themselves had to say. That can get lost sometimes. My strategy in this blog is to make sure the Bible doesn't get lost. In that sense, of course, I am doing this for myself. This is MY encounter with the Bible. I'm sharing it with anyone who cares to read, but I hope the reader is inspired to start their own blog or journal or Bible study group or maybe just a conversation.