Friday, December 21, 2007

More Bibles

Soon I'll be getting back to the business of actually examining portions, but my last post made me think there was a bit more to say about Bibles in general. Truly, just a bit.

First, the bible version I've grown to admire most (based on it's commentary and design, etc) is the Archaeology Study Bible (NIV). It's put out by Zondervan, I believe, and it has some of the most interesting commentary around. Better than that, it is a fairly even handed commentary so that - wonder of wonders - the reader is often allowed to judge things for his or her self. This is as opposed to being told what you should think.

On the matter of being told what to think, I've found that many bible commentators believe it is their job to make you think one way or another on matters - the liberal minded people at Oxford are guilty of this at about the same clip as the many conservative commentators.

Second, aside from the Reformation Study Bible which I still haven't seen the inside of, there is also the Literary Study Bible that I'd like to see inside of. Not sure what goes on in there. Maybe one day I'll have the courage to tear at the celophane...

Then there are two editions I'm not sure what to make - The Joyce Meyer and the Max Lucado. I actually like Lucado's books, but I tend not to think of either of these authors as scholarly heavyweights, so...

On the other hand, one doesn't have to be a scholar to have interesting things to say. In fact, I've know plenty of scholars who have nothing interesting to say even on the subject they got their Ph.Ds in.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hi, this is Mark Traphagen, manager of Westminster Bookstore (www.wtsbooks.com). You can see PDF samples of inside pages of both the Reformation Study Bible and the Literary Study Bible on our site. Just go to the Bibles category, then Study Bibles.

We have both (and all ESV Bibles) for 45% off list, with only $5 UPS shipping for any size order!

10:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home